Tuesday, March 25, 2014

When I Found you

When I Found YouWhen I Found You by Catherine Ryan Hyde
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I have this terrible condition that leads me to not be able to put a book down once I start reading it. I started this book last night and finished it this morning. This book got me thinking about what would happen if I found a child like this? It seems like a divine intervention that just happened to have Nathan and Sadie (his dog), stumble upon a nearly lifeless newborn in the woods. This connection that Nathan felt for this baby was undeniable and as life brought changes to Nathan's life, he couldn't shake this feeling/connection.
I will never wash my hands of you, we a phrase that was echoed throughout the story. This story brought some very common problems that human emotion brings out into us everyday. One of the most powerful messages that has gotten me thinking is how when we don't like something about a person or situation, we look to place fault on the situation or the person and forget to look at ourselves and examine why we feel the way we do. I found Nathan to be very insightful to the human condition. I really wanted him to find utter happiness and felt like he was somehow incomplete.
I struggled with Nat's negatively and general disdain for acting "civil". He was a typical chip on his shoulder type of kid who goes through so much and finally realizes his mistakes in the end, despite Nathan's insights and teachings.
All in all it was good read.


View all my reviews

No comments: